The mission of the Grace Baptist Church of Germantown is to be a Christ-Centered Congregation, through the aid of the Holy Spirit, encouraging all to Grow in the Lord.
Grace Baptist Church of Germantown, a Christ centered American Baptist congregation, in the Heart of the Community Seeking Ever to Win the Community’s Heart.
To be our community’s place of prayer, refuge, comfort and Godly living for members and potential members. To become more like our Lord & Savior while dedicating our lives to serving others with love.
In 1888, a small group of “prayer warriors” met for weekly prayer meetings in a small room on the Keyser Estate. After realizing that the Keyser Estate meeting room had become inadequate to accommodate the growing number of worshipers, Vernon Hall located at the corner of Germantown Avenue & Price Street became the center for their worship activities.
In 1892 the “Grace Mission” was organized and duly recognized Baptist Church, to be known as the Grace Baptist Church of Germantown. In 1896 the congregation bought a site on Sharpnack Street, while the church was being remodeled the congregation worshiped in Johnson Hall on Johnson Street. The congregation had a financial drive to finish remodeling the church in order to return to the building within 30 days. The mortgage on the Sharpnack Street property was paid off by 1945. Unable to expand on Sharpnack Street, the church purchased the property on Johnson Street on April 21, 1960. The groundbreaking ceremony was held at the Johnson Street site on Sunday, March 20, 1966.
The Cornerstone Laying Service at the new site took place on Sunday, May 28, 1967. The Service of Dedication for the new building occurred on May 26, 1968. The Service of Dedication for the Christian Education Building occurred on May 25, 1975. In 1989 the balcony in the sanctuary was constructed, including the secon floor office, elevator, ramp and organ.
- Reverend T. P. Wilson was installed as the first Pastor in 1892
- Reverend John Reed was installed as Pastor from 1894-1902
- Reverend Wingfield was installed as Pastor from 1902-1904
- Reverend R. L. Robinson was installed as Pastor from 1904-1910
- Reverend R. L. Lewis was installed as Pastor from 1910-1912
- Reverend Dr. Hughes was installed as Pastor from 1912-1938
- Reverend Jeremiah A. Wright was installed as Pastor from 1939-1980
- Reverend Dr. E. Theodore Jones served as Interim Pastor from 1980-1981
- Reverend Dr. G. Daniel Jones was installed as Pastor from 1982-2013
- Reverend Merle D. McJunkin was the first Assistant Pastor from 2002-2015
- Reverend Dr. Quintin L. Robertson serves as Interim Pastor from 2013-2016
- Reverend Dr. J. Henry Buck, Jr was installed as Pastor in 2017